Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What We Are Reading

Last week we started reading The Burgess Bird Book by Thornton Burgess. I got it for free at Project Gutenberg  and downloaded it to my Kindle. I Love my Kindle!!! One day I will feature it in My Favorite Things.  It was a gift from my Mother-In-Law this past Christmas. I have to admit it is the greatest gift that I never knew I wanted. One day I will tell you all about it. You will think I am trying to sell it to you but I just really love it. 

ANYWAY......

The Burgess Bird Book is so cute. It is one of the recommended readings from Ambelside Online. It has taken me a while to figure out how Ambelside works but I finally did it, I think. I doubt I will use the weekly schedule because well, as you know, I don't like to have a rigid schedule. But I like the reading suggestions and I am sure that I will use them in my own way. 

We started The Burgess Bird Book last week and I already love the characters. Little Peter Rabbit is the star of the book and he has many adventures with the other animals of the Old Orchard. They are a lovable crew. Some of them remind me of my own family members. Along the way we learn a lot about each of the animals. Such as, migration, dwellings, and beautiful descriptions of their fur and feathers. Also there is some talk about  the plants, seasons, and nature. After we read a chapter we can look up images of the real animals online and put a face to the descriptions. There is also a companion website for the book. 

Even if you have no interest in a Charlotte Mason Education this is a fun book to read at bedtime. It is a nice relaxed look at nature. The chapters are short and easy to read. It doesn't even feel like you are "doing school". 

No comments:

Post a Comment