Saturday, May 7, 2011

In Loving Honor and Memory


I have heard people complain about having to check in with their state yearly for a homeschool review. I have heard people say it is an invasion of privacy or a violation of their rights as a parent. Today, I wish that Indiana required a yearly portfolio or teacher review. If they did, then maybe this would not have happened.


We should remember that while the majority of us are wonderful, loving parents and teachers who want nothing but the best for our children. There are monsters out there who use homeschooling as a way to hide child abuse. Every time I read about one in the paper, it makes me sick! Whenever the headlines tell a story of a homeschooler abusing or killing their child. It makes us all look bad. It's not fair but it is true. 

I love homeschooling my children. One of the reasons I do it, is to keep them safe. Who will keep the children of monsters safe? As much as I dislike big government, I am certain that they should be allowed to keep track of homeschooled children in someway to be sure that they are in fact being well cared for... and are in fact ALIVE!

I am not trying to stir up a debate. I am just trying to shed some perspective. If you have nothing to hide, then you should have no problem allowing "big government" to look in on your child. Although you know that yours is safe, there are other children out there in serious peril. 

In honor and memory of Christian Choate I will never complain about my state requiring a yearly teacher evaluation. In fact, I am thankful for it. It is the very thing that might have saved Christian's life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment