Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Outer Space Lapbook

So the cat is out of the bag. I LOVE lapbooking. It is such a fun form of narration. We only put in the lapbook the information that my child has narrated to me. I do not fill it with facts.
We read the books together and then made a book to go in the lapbook. All of the information contained was narrated to me by my first grader, Skittles. I wrote it on the white board and he copied his own words into the book.

Here are some of the books we borrowed from the library to read on the subject of Outer Space. they were written by Franklyn M. Branley. They are fun to read and have experiments to do along with the a living story line. 

We also read One Giant Leap by Robert Burleigh because it is my son's favorite book. We read it all the time. It is a GREAT book I highly recommend it.                                                                                  
We also read Rockets and Spaceships by Karen Wallace. Which is another bedtime favorite around here. 



Here are some of the Amazing websites we used to learn more about outer space. 
We live less than an hour from Cape Canaveral so we went to Kennedy Space Center and watched several shuttle and rocket launches. Of course we got to tour the museums and base. 
Our greatest resource for the Space unit though did not come from the library, Hollywood, or a museum... It was my Grandfather who worked for NASA during the 50s, 60s, and 70s. He literally helped guide rockets into outer space. He was there during the Space Race!!!!! He has amazing stories to tell about the beginning of Space exploration. Every time he starts a new story, the kids and I try our best to soak up every word like a sponge!!! WHAT A LEGACY!

We spent 2 months on Space. It was more than I had planned to go into this year but it is after all the ENTIRE Universe. So really we have only scratched the surface. 

No comments:

Post a Comment