Monday, January 17, 2011

Living Math

I have always hated Math. In fact, I LOATHE it!!!! All through school I struggled to understand the basics. I don't know why it was so hard for me.. I have a few ideas though. 
Like the fact that I moved around all the time when I was in elementary school and the schools all taught different curriculum. So, part of the problem could be gaps in my education. 
I am also an epileptic and was having many seizures a day all through elementary school. My seizures would have certainly contributed to the gaps.
Then there is the fact that in fourth grade I had a really bad teacher who punished the entire class with 11 pages of math homework. I was up for hours toiling, struggling, and crying over the assignment. I was traumatized. It was a nightmare! Maybe, I am traumatized still... Yup, I am definitely still traumatized!!! 
All of these are excuses of course because I have always done great in every other subject. Literature, History, English, Science even, (when it didn't involve math). 
I am so worried that I will mess up my kids Math education. 
So far I have been doing fine.. I can teach one to one correspondence, ordinal numbers, addition, subtraction, etc. I have been using lesson plans from the Head of the Class website.
So I have been trying to find new and fun ways to teach Math and NOT traumatize my kids.
We do lots of hands on stuff and work together but in true Charlotte Mason Fashion I thought it would be easier to read a book on the subject... . I found this website. http://www.livingmathbooklist.blogspot.com/ They have a book recommendation for all the different Math categories. It is wonderful! Now we can read the book together to get a better understanding of the skills. 
We have already read Beep Beep, Vroom Vroom by Stuart J. Murphy. It taught patterns. Stuart J. Murphy has a whole series of  "living math" books. http://stuartjmurphy.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment