Friday, June 24, 2011

Development


In my experience, as a Mom and teacher, so far, I have found, that while there are things that need to be taught such as reading, writing, going potty..&etc. They can only be learned when the child is ready. I am not saying that they will do these things automatically but when they reach that readiness, they are able to learn it. For example, I spent a year trying to potty train my first born. It was miserable and I tried every trick in every book. Then it seemed, all at once he decided to do it on his own. While I had been ripping my hair out and worrying about sending him to college in a diaper... He was absorbing all the information about how to use the potty. Then when his mind and body were ready, he just did it!

The same thing goes for reading, writing, swimming, riding a bike with no training wheels, &etc. Even tying shoes. I don't think I can take credit for teaching any of it. I was there, I planted the seeds. Sure they never would have learned these things if they were not shown to them.. but none of these things could be forced by my will. 

I guess what I am saying is that the best way to look at parenting and homeschooling is that rather than reciting, repeating, and redundant rhetoric, we should focus on giving them the tools to learn, and opportunities to learn. When they are ready, they will learn. Until then, have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment