Monday, June 20, 2011

Missing In Action


Sorry, I have been MIA for the past week! We were house sitting for our pastor. I spent last week taking care of 4 dogs, 16 chickens, and my 2 boys. It was a lot of fun! The kids absolutely loved caring for the chickens and picking fresh fruits and veggies daily. They fought over who was going to walk around the yard armed with a hose.. er... I mean, they really loved watering the plants.  

We only had a few hiccups... On Wednesday, we somehow managed to lock ourselves out of the house. Luckily, I had noticed a window open earlier that day so I just hoisted my 7yo into the window and he let us in. Then we did the same thing on Friday! Luckily that window was still open so I hoisted him through again. Sunday morning I got up at 6:30 to let the dogs out. As I ushered all of my 4 legged friends out the door I made certain that the door knob was in the unlock position. Then I shut the door and stood on the patio in my pajamas in the silence and stillness of the beautiful morning. Suddenly I heard the door shut behind me again. I turned around and saw my 7yo standing there with a sleepy gaze, "Don't worry mama. I saw the door was locked so I unlocked it." He smiled proudly. 

I tried the door knob. YUP, we were locked out for the 3rd time. I put my hands on my hips and leaned over him so that I could get my point across to him without waking the whole neighborhood with my high-pitched screeching, "I unlocked it! You just locked it!" His smile dropped.  I then went on a rant that included but was not limited too, "This is the 3rd time you have locked us out this week maybe you have fun climbing in the window but I don't have fun lifting you. I am in my pajamas! Why did you even come out here in the first place? &etc" I probably looked like one of the chickens pecking at her baby. It was not my proudest moment. 

Luckily my 5yo was sleeping in a bed right below a window. I knocked on the window and asked him to wake up and let us in. After several tries at waking him he finally sat up and peered through the blinds at us. He chided me for "intawupting" his "fweeping". He did eventually go to the door and try to open it but was to "fweepy" to turn the knob. After much banging, pleading, and one broken nail, I finally gave up and told him to go open the garage door instead. Of course he couldn't reach the button. Finally, after dragging a chair through the house and the garage he managed to reach the button...

Of course, I thought it was all very funny that I had helped my child break into my pastor's house. When they came home Sunday evening I recounted for them the events of the week. With an arm around my shoulder they asked, "Why didn't you just use the hid-a-key?"

As much fun as it all was, I realized that I am a city girl through and through. It was fun to play farmer for a week but I know I don't have the energy to do it full time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment