Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Sensory Processing Disorder


As you may know my 7yo was recently diagnosed with ADHD but I am not ready to medicate him. Instead, I decided to seek an alternative. I have been doing cognitive training with him at home but to be honest it seems way too easy for him. 

I set up an evaluation with a friend of mine who is an occupational therapist. She came over Friday and evaluated him. She spent 2 1/2 hours working with him. In the end, she said he has classic signs of Sensory Processing Disorder. She said this is common in preemies because they don't have the extra time in the womb to mature their brain, nerves, and muscles. 

I mentioned before that 1/3 of preemies are diagnosed with ADHD. The symptoms are so similar that I wonder how many preemies are misdiagnosed and medicated when what they really need is occupational therapy. 

He has been doing much better since we changed his diet and added vitamin supplements. Other things that have helped are our house rules and behavior chart. 

I am very excited about the road ahead for my little guy. I feel like we are heading down the right path now. The more I am learning about SPD, the more the diagnosis fits. I am so glad that God chose me to be the mother and advocate for this very special little boy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment