Monday, October 24, 2011

What Am I Teaching My Child?!?!?!?

Each week, I pick out a nursery rhyme to go with my 5yo's letter of the week themed kindergarten curriculum. I get my nursery rhymes from a great sight Zelo.com. This week we are doing the letter G. I looked at my options. the first one that caught my eye was, Goosey Goosey, Gander. Sounds innocent enough, right? Well I read all the lyrics, 

Goosey, Goosey, Gander,
Whither shall I wander?
Upstairs, and Downstairs, 
And in my lady's chamber.

There I met and old man
Who wouldn't say his prayers!
I took him by the left leg
and threw him down the stairs.

My jaw hit the floor. I couldn't believe it! I am not about to teach my children that if someone does not say their prayers, they should be thrown down the stairs! How's that for being a light unto the world? I want to raise my children to be good witnesses for Jesus Christ, not persecutors of non-believers!

It got me thinking, a year or so ago I found a website that tells you the meaning behind nursery rhymes and songs. It is very eye opening to say the least. I thought it would be interesting to discover the historical meaning behind these rhymes. Maybe it is just me showing what a history nerd I am, but I really like the idea of teaching history through nursery rhymes. 

Of course, I am not about to begin this with my 5yo.... I think a few more years of singing "Ring Around the Rosy"  innocently and unafraid of the Bubonic Plague are warranted. One day though, I think it would make an interesting series of history lessons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment