Saturday, September 15, 2012

Weekly Wrap-Up



We have been doing so many fun things in school. We really love the new curriculum.

We are still starting off with Math each morning. My 8yo started a new unit. He is learning algebra. He is also learning how to rearrange an equation to make true statements about a problem.
My 6yo spent the week learning ordinal numbers.

My 8yo is still reading Just So Stories. He has 2 stories left. He is reading very well and enjoying the stories. I have him read 3-4 pages independently and then come to me for a verbal narration. Then he writes a sentence that summarizes what he read.
My 6yo is really struggling with reading. It was very frustrating. He was excelling with sight words but struggling with phonics. I decided to stop what I was doing and back track. I bought Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons . We started lessons this week and it is going GREAT. Of course it starts out very basic. I thought about skipping ahead in the lessons but I don't think that would work. Anyway, it is good for him to build up confidence since he was so frustrated before.

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

We are still reading about the Pilgrims in History. The kids really enjoy the short stories about their time in  Holland.

We finished Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims. The kids and I are now reading an adventure tale, The Twenty-One Balloons. My 8yo LOVES the story and talks about it all the time. He is so disappointed when I close the book for the day. I think, if I left the book out, he might sneak off and read it alone. :)
My 6yo does not love the book. I think it is just too mature for him. He does not understand much of what is going on. It is a book for older kids I think.
The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pene du Bois, William Pene Du Bois (Illustrator)

I made a change in spelling this week. The words in the HOD  teacher book were too easy for my 8yo and too hard for my 6yo. So I found a website that has lists for first and third grade. I am using the HOD lessons with the words off those lists. This week went very well. 

I also changed how I do copywork. I had mentioned last time that my 8yo was rushing through and making a lot of mistakes. I tried giving him less to write and asking him to take his time but it was not working. It was still sloppy. I decided to go back to manuscript writing paper instead of wide ruled. The difference was remarkable. I think we will continue to use this paper for copywork. 

Science went well this week. We learned about winter and how animals prepare. I have been doing the lessons in the teacher book as a group. Then I send my 6yo off for a play break and my 8yo reads from the Science book.

We started our co-op group last week. The kids are taking a class on manners. This week they learned how to properly introduce themselves. They are playing kickball in P.E. They learned about Sea Turtles and are working on makin

No comments:

Post a Comment