Monday, January 24, 2011

Carschooling

I love the flexibility that homeschooling affords. Today, the family was busy running errands all around town. We could have taken the day off, which is perfectly fine, but we decided instead to take the day with us. So, we grabbed our binders and jumped in the car. 

The binders make learning on the go easy. We only need to bring the binder and a pencil. The kids pull their worksheet out and use the back of the binder as a solid writing surface. 

I brought the books we are reading and read from the passenger seat. The kids were more excited to do their work than usual. Sometimes, a change of scenery is just the thing we need to get rid of the blahs.

On really nice days, we can take our binders to the park and do our work at the picnic table. Nothing motivates a child to get their work done like a playground just out of reach. 

Another idea is to bring school along on your road trips. When I first stared out homeschooling, I was delivering newspapers from my car for 2 hours a day. It was a great job. I could pick up the papers anytime after 11:00 am. I had to have them delivered by 4:00pm. I was able to take my kids along with me but when they got to old to nap through the car ride I had to come up with things for them to do. 

We brought coloring books and activities but I wanted them to learn something while they were stuck in the car seat and then they could play when they got home. Enter "carschooling". Clever term, I didn't come up with it though, Diane Flynn Keith did. 

If you have ever heard, "Are we there yet?" 100 times in a day, you will want to check this site out. I did not buy the book. I just stole the idea. Now when we go on a long trip, we bring our binders and I pack them full of road trip related activities. 

My point is that just because we call it "homeschool" does not mean that we have to keep the learning in those 4 walls. You can bring it with you, and why not?!?!?! Don't you wish you could have counted all the red cars for math class??? Or mapped out the directions to the zoo for geography as you where actually driving there??? 

Make learning fun and they will remember it forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment