Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What we are reading....

As you know yesterday I was running errands, well, my first stop was the library. I found a marvelous book on The Revolutionary war. I wanted to share it with you.

 Let It Begin HERE! by Don Brown is captivating! We couldn't put it down. Luckily it is only 59 pages long.

It begins by discussing the reasons that we went to war in the first place. Young King George had spent all of his money expanding an empire he could no longer support financially and so he decided to tax the American colonists.

Today we read about the Boston Tea Party and Paul Revere's ride. The kids are really enjoying it so far.

I have to warn you, there are a few violent drawings. You might want to proof read it and decide on your own. Some children are more sensitive than others. My boys are not deterred by it and I think it is important to show that those soldiers where not hurling insults at each other. People died for our independence. 

If you decide that Let It Begin Here! is too mature for your audience for now, I have another great book on the subject. Buttons for General Washington by Peter and Connie Roop is about a boy who was a spy for the American Army. It is short and sweet. It has really great illustrations. I enjoyed reading it. It really brings the everyday life and fears into a perspective that a young child can understand.                                                                                          
History is my favorite subject so it is no surprise that I love to read stories like this to my kids. I hope they grow up to love history as much as I do.  



No comments:

Post a Comment