Monday, May 16, 2011

Motherhood

My friend just posted this quote on Facebook. 
While we try to teach our children all about life,
Our children teach us what life is all about.
~Angela Schwindt
Which is ironic because I was literally thinking almost the same thing. Sometimes, we spend so much time raising our children that we forget to enjoy them. 

I have spent the afternoon praying for a friend from church who is in labor at 27 weeks. Which is how far along I was when my 7yo was born. I have also been praying for family who are mourning the death of a 13yo boy. I have come close to losing a child but I have not experienced it. I can't imagine her pain. I don't want to either! 

A fear struck me this afternoon, that it is possible for something awful to happen to my kids. This came about midway through dinner during our nightly vegetable debate. I was just about to reiterate our one bite for every year of age rule for the third time, when I felt my heart drop. If I lost my children tomorrow, I would regret fighting over grilled zucchini. I would miss holding them in my arms. So, I forgot the rule just for tonight. I let them scrape the delicious but half eaten zucchini into the garbage and I hugged them instead. 

Ten minutes later my 7yo said, "I'm hungry."

No comments:

Post a Comment