Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Day 3.... Don't be Fooled by Impostors

Most of the day I was feeling very sad. I blame it on the "blue moon." The day seemed to drag on. I think that I was the one dragging though. 

Twizzler struggled with his math today. I think it is because his reading is behind. He can't read word problems easily. Also, he is really good at the math he knows but when I bumped him up, I did not think about the fact that he has not been taught some concepts. Today he was really struggling with even and odd numbers. I found a lesson on even and odd numbers in a copy of What Your Second Grader Needs to Know that I have hanging around my house. I am probably going to go to Barnes and Noble this weekend and flip through some workbooks. Maybe I can find something challenging enough to keep him interested but will teach him the concepts he needs to know.  

So here are some happy things that happened today. 
  1. Twizzler read our poem today with just a little bit of help from Mommy. 
  2. Skittles used a vocabulary word in the grocery store. He told Twizzler to watch out for mangoes, "They may look like apples but they are really impostors." Twizzler BTW is allergic to mangoes. 
  3. Hershey really enjoyed science. We read a couple of pages from One Small Square: Seashore. Hershey sat in my lap during the reading. Then we did an experiment. We dropped a coin and a ball into the tub of water. We discovered that the coin sinks, the ball floats, and Hershey sinks too... We did not let him sink but he did try to dive into the tub head first. Then we documented our findings in our science notebooks. Here again Hershey wanted to participate. So I gave him a dry erase board and marker. He had a good time coloring alongside his brothers. 
  4. When I had finished reading from the book, Skittles saw a picture in the corner and correctly named zooplankton and phytoplankton. I wish I could take credit for that but it was their oceanography teacher at co-op who taught them that last year. 
  5. Both of my older boys took turns having a heart to heart talk with me while the other brother was in the shower. I absolutely treasure our talks. I hope that they will always want to come talk to me when they are troubled so that we can pray about it together. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you can even find the good in the hard days. I love that the boys loving talking to me too. {did they learn compassion today to ;) }

    I'm glad Hershey did sink. Come October.... try floating pumpkins.... have them predict before had what will happen.

    ReplyDelete