Saturday, October 5, 2013

Cake Wrecks?

Today my baby turned 10! I still remember the way his tiny fingers felt in my hand. He was so fragile that his little hand was the only part that we could hold. I wish I had the foresight to capture a picture of him holding MY hand but I did not. This is my Dad's hand.


Skittles is my miracle baby. My water broke when I was 21 weeks pregnant. I was told that I was having a miscarriage. They expected labor to begin soon. My OB told me that my baby was still alive but he was too small to save so when he was born they would hand him to me and let me hold him until he died. The next few days were a blur. Once I had made it 48 hours without going into labor, we celebrated. Baby still had a heartbeat and a strong kick. My OB told me that if I could make it to 23 weeks, he would transfer me to a hospital with a level 3 NICU. I made it all the way to 27 weeks laying flat on my back to prevent cord prolapse and other dangers. He was born at 27 weeks and 3 days. He was 2 lbs 3 oz and 14 ins long. He was perfect aside from being VERY premature. He stayed in the NICU for 96 days and fought hard for life. 

I am thankful every day for the miracles and the miracle workers that saved my baby boy. Today I held him in my arms, something I do every year and will continue to do until he won't let me anymore because 10 years ago, I could not hold him. If you want to read more about my little miracle, you can find it on my old blog. 

  1. I got to spend the day with family. Not everyone could be there but it was great to chat, laugh, and fellowship with family. 
  2. Skittles loved his cake even if I am not sure that it does not belong on Cake Wrecks. If my miracle story made you cry, check out Cake wrecks and that ought to get you smiling again. Thankfully, they only use professional cakes and I am not a pro. LOL. I certainly would never charge anyone for this... 
                                                                   I tried every setting on Instagram to try and make this thing look halfway decent to no avail. 
  3. I overheard Twizzler explaining how our bodies fight viruses in perfect detail, "First the T-cells yell, 'Help! Help!' and then the B-cells come and attack the virus with antibodies and then the K-cells come and eat the virus but they leave the antibodies so that they can attack the virus if you ever get it again." 
  4. Then I overheard Skittles saying, "Did you know that in the dessert they can have a drought for months and then it rains and rains until there are flash floods? Oh and Hyenas are related to dogs but they sound like a human laughing. Don't walk towards the laughing." And later on I heard, "When people first came to the colonies, the people in Europe asked them to bring back specimens because they had never seen anything we have here." I think the best part is not just that they are learning new things but that they are retaining the information! 
  5. Oh and apparently Hershey has some lightning fast reflexes because he was able to catch a spider and hand it to our aunt who is TERRIFIED of all insects. She took it willingly until she realized what it was and then she screamed.... It is probably mean of me to put this in the happy stuff but honestly, I am just happy it was not me... haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment