Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Don't Give Up the Ship

Well we are half way through week 20 in our curriculum. That means we only have 12 weeks left. This time of year is always the hardest to push through. The kids wake up in the morning and say, "I don't want to do school," and the fact is, I don't either. It is the same every year. I am sure that public school teachers would say the same. This time of year just seems to feel like the school year is draaaaaaaaaaaagging. Summer seems soooo far away yet right around the corner. I am torn between the urge to get it all done and just being tired of fighting them to stay on task.
  1. Hershey drew a picture of a train today. It was the first time he has ever tried to draw something. He proudly brought me his artwork exclaiming, "Choo choo, choo choo!"
  2. Twizzler jumped right into school today. He got his math, reading, spelling, and writing done all before lunch. 
  3. Skittles read our history lesson. We read about the history of the term, "Don't give up the ship." It was the last words of Captain Lawrence during the war of 1812. After the kids read the story I did some investigating and not wanting my children to have an idealized version of United States history I finished the story that abruptly ended with,"Don't give up the ship," in their history book. Apparently the revered Captain Lawrence was disobeying orders when he told his crew to fight. Even more noteworthy is the fact that as soon as he died, his crew did in fact, give up the ship. Man, I love history. 
  4. I love days when we get our school done early. It gives me time to do the things I love like; sew, blog, and scrapbook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment