Saturday, March 29, 2014

Peace and Quiet, There's an App for That

Today there was a lovely rainstorm. I LOVE storms. I like to open the windows and doors and listen to the rain pound onto the leaves and the thunder crashing. The kids decided to entertain themselves with their tablets while I listened to the storm. They mostly played Minecraft but they played some educational games too. Here are a few that I have on my "cloud."

  1. Minecraft Yes it is a bit educational. I would not consider it a part of my school day but I do htink they are learning something when they play it. Today Skittles was creating scientific theories about blowing things up. Hey I am just thankful he has this medium to explore this train of thought instead of acting upon it in real life like his uncle did with a pile of fireworks powder. 
  2. Flight Theory This is another one of Skittles favorites. He loves WWII planes and he loves flying. He can practice taking off and landing and he is learning about flight. 
  3. Moon Expedition is great for learning about our solar system and space flight. 
  4. Kindle  I use this app all the time to download classic books. This week I downloaded, Our Island Story and This Country of Ours by H. E. Marshall which are wonderful history books about the histories of England and the United States. 
  5. Speaking of books, I love my Bible app. There is one for the kids too. 
  6. Twizzler loves his Sparky app to help him practice his Awana work. 
  7. Both boys love practicing their math skills with Monkey Math. It is way more fun than flash cards.
  8. Stack the States  They have been playing this all week. They love when they see Rhode Island, the state where they were born. 
Hershey has some apps too. 
  1. Mighty Shapes for practicing shapes, colors, patterns, and counting. 
  2. My Baby Drum He don't wanna work. He just want to bang on the drum all day. 
  3. My Baby Piano This has been his favorite app for over a year. 
  4. My First Books Interactive story books for babies. 
  5. Sound Touch Lite Fun baby flash cards
  6. Veggie Tales Hershey is really too young for this app but he LOVES Veggie Tales so even if he does not understand how to play the game, he is happy to see his buddies Larry and Bob. 
I am always looking for more great educational apps. Let me know what some of your favorites are.

No comments:

Post a Comment